Friday, December 7, 2007

On School

Life is funny thing. You think you know somebody, then they do something completely out of their ordinary. You think you know yourself, and the same thing happens. I thought I knew myself going into this semester, and was very confident in my ability to pass all of my classes. I am Ray, I graduated high school with a 3.7 GPA, got a 1300 on my SAT and a 29 on my ACT. No junior college (with junior expectations) is going to have any chance against me. Well, college was easy; so easy it was hard.
I forgot about Apathy
Apathy is the inconspicuous monster that keeps the open wound of school from healing into educational epidermis and instead produces an ugly scar of stupidity. Apathetic people are only fighting themselves. So yes, I beat the college, but I lost to myself. You skip one class only to discover that, unlike high school, professors in college don't care if you come or not. They are there to fulfill vocational obligations--to "profess"--not babysit lazy college students. After that you are cooked, the ratio of classes attended to classes skipped continues to switch places until you get a final grade that doesn't make the cut. You have wasted your time, and now get to do this or that class again. Failing academically has never been a reality in my life, and I don't recommend it; it tears you up from the inside out.

No comments: